I have to admit, I’m a chapstick/lip balm/lipstick addict. I have to apply something to my lips at least once an hour. Usually I use Burt’s Bees or lipstick. One of our customers loves essential oils (even more than we do) and she gave us a wonderful Peppermint Lavender Lip Balm that she made at home.
I was skeptical at first that it could replace my Burt’s Bees — well, I was wrong. Aside from smelling wonderful, it was very moisturizing and the best part was that I didn’t have to apply it every hour. I could go two hours or more (ok, I haven’t timed it). But my point is that it works great! This homemade lip balm doesn’t have the addictive ingredient in it which makes me feel the need to keep re-applying. Here’s the recipe:
What you’ll need:
– 1 ounce beeswax (around 3 tablespoons)
– 1 ounce coconut oil (around 2 tablespoons)
– ½ ounce shea butter (around 1 tablespoon)
– 20 drops peppermint oil
– 10 drops lavender oil
– Large skillet/saucepan with water
– Glass Pyrex jar (or something similar)
– Scale (to measure out the ounces)
– Lip balm containers (tubes or tins)
And here’s how easy it is:
- Measure each of the three butters and place together in a large glass measuring cup/jar (like the Pyrex one that is heat-resistant — as you are going to place this jar in a saucepan of boiling water).
- Fill a large skillet/saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the glass jar to the center of the saucepan to melt and combine ingredients.
- Stir every few minutes until the ingredients are melted and combined. (10-15 minutes)
- Once all wax is melted, remove from heat and let sit for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes, add essential oils.
- Pour mixture into lip balm containers.
- Let cool and you are DONE! If you spill any it’s no problem since wax is easy to cleanoff plastic and counter tops.
WANT COLORED LIP BALM?
Just add a small amount of mineral makeup until you get the desired color (do this when you are putting in the essential oils).
IS THE MIXTURE HARDENING BEFORE YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO PUT IT IN THE CONTAINERS?
Just put the glass jar back in the hot water and re-melt the mixture. Hope you enjoy this as much as we have!
Disclaimer: The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This information is for educational purposes only, it is not intended to treat, cure, prevent or, diagnose any disease or condition. Nor is it intended to prescribe in any way. This information is for educational purposes only and may not be complete, nor may its data be accurate.